WKUSB, with a WinKeyer IC, is K1EL’s original CW interface for the PC. It provides a convenient way to connect your PC to an amateur radio transceiver and send Morse both under computer control and by iambic paddle.
Morse keying that is generated by a PC based application is prone to timing problems that are a result of the multitasking nature of Windows and other operating systems. All it takes is a long disk search or slow peripheral access to upset the intricate timing of Morse letters. This shows up even more at higher speeds such as you would find in a CW contest.
Winkeyer replaces PC generated Morse and produces perfectly timed elements at speeds up to 99 WPM. In addition, WinKeyer provides an optical isolation between your PC and radio to prevent ground loops and electrical noise problems. If that’s not enough, WinKeyer gives you a complete standalone keyer with speed control, message buttons, and a paddle interface.
It is hard to find a contest or logging app that does not support WinKeyer. K1EL created the Winkeyer interface back in 2001 and did all the work convincing software developers to incorporate it into their applications.
- Uses the WinKeyer3 IC (V30)
- 4 Message pushbuttons
- Independent Outputs to drive two separate rigs
- RCA style Key and PTT outputs on the back panel
- Key and PTT outputs are optically isolated
- High voltage solid state keying relays
- Weighting, Keying compensation, and Letterspace
- Sidetone speaker on board
- Custom high quality silkscreened enclosure
- Front Panel Speed Control
- Paddle connector on the back panel
- USB interface (FTDI Controller-based)
- Uses USB Type A to B Cable (not included)
- Internal battery holder for three AAA batteries (Details for fitting battery)
- Low power standby in standalone mode
- Fully built and tested
Review by Michael G0POT