WKmini is a small form factor WKUSB streamlined for use with a contest logging application. It’s ideal for Field Day, DXpeditions, mountain topping, or home station use. Speed and message selection are controlled by the host application so a speed pot and message pushbuttons are not needed.
Standalone operation is not supported so an internal battery is not required. This allowed us to put WKmini into a very small package. Like WKUSB, it has a custom metal enclosure with RFI and ESD protection.
A solid state relay ensures a 5 KV isolation barrier between radio and PC, virtually eliminating ground loops and conducted RFI problems. WKmini is based on K1EL’s WK3 IC, the best way to connect your PC to an amateur radio transceiver and send Morse both under computer control and by iambic paddle. Morse keying that is generated by a PC based application is prone to timing problems that are a result of the multitasking nature of Windows and other operating systems.
All it takes is a long disk search or slow peripheral access to upset the intricate timing of Morse letters. This shows up even more at higher speeds such as you would find in a CW contest. WinKeyer replaces PC generated Morse and produces perfectly timed elements at speeds up to 99 WPM. It is hard to find a contest or logging app that does not support WinKeyer. K1EL created the WinKeyer interface back in 2001 and did a great deal of work convincing software developers to incorporate it into their applications.
Please Note: The WKmini Keyer comes with the 2 cable set included in the price.
- Uses the reliable WinKeyer3 IC (V30)
- Fully assembled and tested
- Host-only operation
- Independent Outputs to key two separate rigs
- 1/8″ (3.5mm) Key and PTT dual output jack
- Key and PTT outputs are optically isolated (5000V)
- Solid state relay keying: +/- 60V max at 200 mA
- Adjustable weighting, compensation, and letterspace
- Keying test LED, no internal sidetone speaker
- Custom high quality silkscreened metal enclosure
- Meets FCC and CE emissions requirements
- 1/8″ (3.5mm) CW Paddle jack (iambic or single lever)
- USB interface (FTDI Controller-based)
- Uses USB Type A to mini B Cable
- AUX input for future option support